FEEDING HEARTS, MINDS & TUMMIES
One of my favorite charities in the world is FEED SA.
It was started by my very good friends Jo-anne Tooch and Candice Etberg. Both these women are such an inspiration to me. They have chosen to make a difference with their lives. They are amazing role models who have decided to use their time on this planet to make and impact and affect change.
WHAT IS FEED ?
It’s a non-profit, whose main aim is to establish feeding programmes and education in South Africa’s townships for those children who go to school on an empty stomach. They also implement the building and setting up of crèches.
FEED SA works hands on in the townships on a grass roots level
FEED BELIEVES… HEALTHY CHILDREN NEED A HEALTHY AND BALANCED LIFESTYLE, CONSISITING OF NUTRITIOUS FOOD, EDUCATION, EXCERCISE AND LOVE!
The volunteers personally arrange at the end of each month, the delivery of food hampers for their beneficiaries in the townships. The beneficiaries receive no other parcels of food.
• Presently, FEED SA is assisting 42 beneficiaries (approximately 5 347 people)
• Food handouts are done on a monthly basis – guaranteeing each child/person at least 2 nutritious meals per day for the month
• FEED SA ensures the sustainability of the food handouts for 18 months, by monitoring the funds specifically raised for the feeding programme
Many children, through their underprivileged circumstances, will never experience the things they learn about, and without hands on experience and the means with which to learn, learning is superficial.
Children need to be educated on the basics of life skills and love from an early age. FEED SA is passionate about setting up crèches in the townships, affording kids the privilege of learning what kids their age should be learning. Through an age appropriate curriculum, they can learn life skills and develop social interactions.
DEVELOPMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE
FEED SA has joint ventures with certain crèches within Alexandra Township, Soweto, Orlando West, Orange Farm and the West Rand.
• FEED SA identifies these already existing crèches within the townships with the help of leaders in the area. The children’s ages range from 3 months to 7 years
• Each crèche is personally visited and researched by the Co-Executive Directors of FEED SA, as well as qualified school teachers from Private Schools.
• Assistance in the form of training, including age appropriate curriculums, health and hygiene, activities for fine and gross motor skills, cognitive development, fantasy play and creative play is then made compulsory for each teacher/care givers who have no formal training.
• Supplies needed are delivered on a quarterly basis, including health care and first aid kits
You can donate via credit card or debit order by visiting their website at www.feedsa.co.za
You can also follow them on Facebook